
With us becoming so enthusiastic about this hiking business I thought it a good time to invest in a really sturdy pair of walking shoes, so what better way to walk them in than with a 9 mile walk. The walk we chose was listed in the AA book as a tour around Orwell country, starting in the industrial working class town of
Wigan and winding along the Leeds-Liverpool canal to
Haigh Hall, set out in the
Lancashire countryside. I had never really thought of
Wigan as a hiker's destination (my family had only ever been there to visit the
Wigan Pier museum, which has now closed due to a decline in visitor numbers) but it really was lovely. I always find it amusing to see people out on their canal barge holidays, trying to navigate the endless stream of locks in the hilly regions of Britain. I had thought that 9 miles on the relative flat would be quite gentle, as I usually find steep
descents to be the real killer, but it was suitably tiring and we slept well afterwards.









No comments:
Post a Comment